Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

No TV and No BB Make Norm Something Something

Tuesday evening, sitting on the train and writing this with my laptop. I may have mentioned that my work laptop STB last week which sorta left me in a lurch in the whole WFH thing. Well I brought it in yesterday and the hard drive was bad. They replaced it and I have a laptop in my bag on the way home. This is fortunate, because I forgot my BB at work. I feel somewhat aimless without it. I prefer to keep on top of things especially with the erratic nature of some of the groups we work with. I know when I get home I'm going to have 50 emails or more to read/delete. Hopefully nothing pressing has come down the pipe - not that I could do anything about it. It's not like I can actually work on the BB and the laptop does not have a Verizon card so I'm not connected on the train, just typing.

If I had a better book to read I wouldn't care but I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Guards Guards! which is ok but the shine on Pratchett has worn off. His first book was great but they're just aimless prose collections that have silly little Douglass Adams' type lines all over. It gets old, especially as you get older.

I have nothing really to say but I need something to do other than to read a book that is moderately ok or stare out the window and watch the scenery go by. I ate my carrots and sent a text message to Nat and took a picture with my camera phone and that about got me out of the tunnel. Then I read a little bit but meh, it just can't get me to the other side of the train ride. I wonder if I should consider the Verizon card. Work will apparently pay for it but then they will have tabs on me all the time, in a way. OTOH, the train ride will be productive and easier, I think.

You know, I hope nobody steals the BB. Random food items have disappeared before from my desk. But then, they'll never take the money I leave out. I always have change there and it's never been touched. Maybe they know to take the things that won't get them caught? I think it's sad that you can't leave a granola bar on your desk and not have it stolen. We work for Wall Street people, what gives?

Finally going to get into the modern computer era as I ordered 2 PCI cards for the laptops so we can finally go wireless. So that will give us 2 wireless laptops and 1 with a cable still. I should have gone ahead and gotten 3 cards, really no idea why I didn't. Maybe it has something to do with admitting that 2 people don't need 3 computers. I'm sure we could count Julia and then we could say 3 for 3, but then she's content with Mickey Mouse and really doesn't care about the computer. Yet. So before long I'll likely have my work PC sitting on the kitchen table most of the time - much to Nat's dismay, until she wants to check her email of course.

You know, having this on my lap really isn't that bad. Maybe I should consider the Verizon card after all. It sure would be yet another big step forward in the Modern Computer Era that I hope to be stepping in soon. But of course, who knows if I'll be able to figure out the wireless router. Apparently it has some sort of key (a wep key?) printed on it somewhere which protects the network from people stealing free Internet. I wouldn't know. It's not like I deal with computers all day.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Norm, couple things:

    1) Go crazy?
    2) Laptop on your lap for an hour will fry your nuts, multiply that by 8-10 times a week
    3) I've got mad wireless router skillz, if you need a hand with that

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore