Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Friday, August 29, 2008

Fantasy Football

It's the time of year again when the days get shorter and colder and they play football on the weekends and dorks like me put together teams of random players to compete for mythical championships. Fantasy football.

Last night I had my first draft. Since joining Facebook I've gotten in touch with a few of my old high school friends - the good ones who I hung out with senior year in between the heavy high school drinking and heavy college drinking. Turns out there was an opening and they asked me to join. It's a free ESPN league. Me - sure, why not?

It took about 1:15 to do the draft and I'm glad I didn't autopilot it. One of the guys bowed out and the autopilot feature sucks, let me tell you. So I had the first pick and took Addai. Oh, gotta mention it's a keeper league so the top guns were off the board already. Larry Johnson was my keeper, I got Addai, the Patriots starting RB, and Kevin Smith.

My WRs are Andre Johnson, the GB guy I think, Marvin Harrison, and Javon Walker. TE is Winslow with LJ Smith behind him. K is the Pats kicker. Defense is SD and NE. My QB I think is Delhomme. Obviously I went with the "late non-dead QB" theory. I may have grabbed Aaron Rogers as his backup. I'm sure there are a few other players I missed.

In all, it's a much less knowledgeable league than the normal one I'm in so I was able to get, for instance, LJ Smith and the Pats defense in 2 of the last 3 rounds. The league isn't so much about football though. It's about getting together (online) and talking trash. It was fun to BS with these guys that I literally have not seen in something like 16 years if not 17 or 18.

I have a Facebook auto-draft this weekend which I won't pay attention to. I'm sure that will be a cluster fuck of waiver moves just like any auto draft. Then the big one is Tuesday night which is a conference call at 8:00 or 8:30. After last night I'm wishing it was just all online because it straps you in at 1:30 and you have to get your pick on or take the next best ESPN player listed. If we get the thing done Tuesday in 2 hours it will be a miracle.

Plus, the talent pool will be totally stripped come the 12th round of our draft. Rookie RBs will go 3rd round. It's funny how different leagues have different ways to play out.

In the draft last night I had the first pick, and in Tuesday's I'll have one of the top picks. I'm hoping I get 1 or 2 because I want LT or AP. The 2 spot is better since it allows someone else to have to choose, but that will invariably be LT. I will take the 1 spot and deal with the consequences of having 1, 20, and 21 if it plays out that way. Probably that translates to LT and 2 solid WRs but you never know.

Work work work Friday. Today is going to be a bitch.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christ, that sounds like a lot of work.

    I have a hard enough time following one team.
    -ChrisG

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore