Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Miserable Weekend Finally Ends

It's Tuesday morning so the events of the weekend are now starting to fade to an extent. Life moves on, good or bad. Not really much you can do about it. I'm not feeling all beat up but I am somewhat tired, which isn't surprising but it may mean this week is a bit longer mentally than I would hope for.

Anyway here's the rundown on the weekend. I'm too tired to give an over-written blog post so let's cut to the chase and make it quick. Friday morning, wake up and stay home since I'm working from home. At this point in the story Nat is about 6.5 weeks pregnant. Gee I wonder where this story is going.

There was a failblog.org image of a book called Getting Pregnant in the Diseases section. I was excited that when I finally blogged about it I would be able to use the picture. Here it is anyway.



Well I get on the bike Friday morning and I'm having the ride of the year. Less than 30 minutes in and I'm at 19.5, which is way, way faster than normal. I'm starting to think I can try to hang a 21 average on this ride. Then the tire blew out. Well it didn't exactly blow out, it peeled away because I was about 500 miles overdue on changing it.



So I booted it up with a pair of dollar bills and got home ok. Then Nat went to the doctor that day for a normal pre-pregnancy checkup. All good, and so on.

I was supposed to go to a race Saturday but it turned out that nobody was going, so I bagged it because I didn't want to drive solo. Well it turns out that was a good thing because that's when Nat started bleeding. At first it was light, but then she started cramping and blah blah blah - I'm going to spare the gory details for everyone. She knew the game was over then. While it happens and some people stay pregnant, you get to the point where you no longer delude yourself. Chances are you're not in the 5% who bleeds yet stays pregnant. I'm telling this story to a bunch of people who ride and race bikes. I'm going to assume you can fill in the blanks.

Rest of the day is just around the house. Nat is bummed but we also know that miscarriages happen because something is wrong. Do you want to go through the process if something is severely wrong? This is an intellectual way of looking at it, of course. And Nat is rational enough to know this. But she was also bummed at the same time. Not as much as the time 6 years ago, which was a major trauma. With a little monster child running around the house it makes it a lot easier to focus on her.



Anyway, that was the weekend. I didn't ride Saturday. I rode Sunday then again yesterday when I stayed home from work. Nat got bloodwork done Sunday then went to the doc yesterday and they confirmed that yup, she's not pregnant as such. It turns out that on Friday the numbers were super low so I guess that means it wasn't going to happen anyway. But it's still a mental thing to go through.

So that's the weekend, and I'm back to work today. I almost broke this weekend and busted open a beer or bottle of wine, thus ending my quest to make it through the rest of the bike season alcohol free. But I held on, which is good because I'm letting things slip a little these days so I need a bit of discipline back in the fold.

So there's my half-assed weekend story. This isn't a particularly fantastic entry but it is what it is. Hopefully tomorrow I can return to my normal idiotic posts about whatever it is I'm doing at the moment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore