Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Friday, February 29, 2008

My Girl Likes to Party All the Time

The Eddie Murphy song listed above was released in the late 1980s I think, roughly 20 years ago. I was in high school, and growing up I saw Murphy as an absolute legend, someone who epitomized the excellence that human beings could attain if they really tried. I would never call him a hero, but man, Eddie was the funniest shit out there.

Then this song came out. If nothing else, this showed that he was not, despite his previous work, infallible. In fact, this showed that no matter how cool you are, you can make that all come crumbling down with 1 absurdly bad song riding on the coattails of your previous success. Alternately, this was a sign of things to come in life. This isn't the exception in show business, it's the rule. Any public figure is subject to it. And really, when you look at how tragically today's stars come crashing to Earth (Brittany Spears, Roger Clemens), releasing a crappy pop-dance song is a pretty painless road to take.

I heard that song on the radio today, being played as a joke on the Boomer-Cartin radio show. Thus the thought.

No bike today as I went out drinking with a few people from work last night. Had 4 beers and got home at 10. Waking up at 6:00 was tough enough. 4:30 wasn't even an option. In response to my abusing my body last night, I now weight closer to 190 than 180. Abusing your body as such never has positive consequences.

Cupcake Steve

"i was a little apprehensive about the lack of resistance settings on the trainer, as well. supposedly the fly wheel mechanism has something called infinite resistance, which i still do not understand. i had some issues with lack of resistance when the I used the MTB (2x9) on the trainer for most of last season. However, it has never been an issue with the road bike. let me know if you want to try it out."

Thanks! I think the infinite resistance claim is that the resistance isn't linear, it's exponential. On a bike "in the field" it takes something like twice as much power to go from 15 mph to 19 mph - I don't know the actual numbers but it's along those lines. So if you go from 19 to a 20 average, you've made big power gains. As I understand it, the CycleOps is the same sort of thing. So if you're in a 52x13 spinning at 120 rpm, you probably need to be putting out over 1000 watts which is astoundingly high. So in theory you could get into truly inhuman power realms if you can spin 150 rpm in that scenario. That's my understanding at least.

Given that the Performance trainer lasted a season and is now acting goofy, I should probably try out another model and the CycleOps is the other model. Really I'd love the Kurt Kinetic with power reading but they don't carry that unfortunately. I could get a refund and then buy the KK somewhere else. It's slightly more inconvenient but only a bit. But then I don't know what the price options are on that. I have until next week to take care of that.

Not too bad this morning. But abusing your body is never good. It could be a long day for any number of reasons. The Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle hit the Bargaining phase recently so I think the next step is Depression then Acceptance, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a regression to Anger.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore