Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Your Blog Sucks

I was told recently by 3 different people that my blog sucks these days. Maybe not in those exact words, but the message was more or less the same. First my wife, then Terren, then my mom. Well ok then, here's something. It may not be on par with sliced bread but it's better than crap, I hope.

I'm on the train to Brooklyn right now, as my Facebook status can attest to. Since signing up for Facebook my blog has become a series of 1 line status updates. When it comes down to it, do I really have more than 1 thing to say in any given day? Probably not.

I ride my bike a colossal amount these days. This past week it was 15.25 hours. I WFH every Tue/Thu and the whole week every 5th week. So of every 25 days of work, I'm in the office 12 of those. That's 12 out of 35 real days. This allows me to pile on the saddle time. I'm good with that mix. I don't like working from home all the time and I don't like going into the office all the time. So that's a good middle ground to be in.

The temps dipped a lot the last 48 hours so now I'll really be testing out my cold weather gear. I'm looking to ride like this through the winter this year so long as it's not wet and sloppy out. My aim is to hit 8 hours a week on average at worst, hopefully more. I think my minimum week would be 6 hours even if stuck inside an entire week. I hope to use the trainer one day a week or less. I hate that thing.

On the 3 days I train to work I catch up on my Chinese podcasts on the way in. I've found a better resource which is progressive. I'm on lesson 27 of 270 (or so). I listen to 3 of the lessons on the way in then wrap it up. 3 is usually enough to stretch my brain. Then I'll either surf or read or blog. Today I blog. Once I hit the subway I'll read. Currently my book is Vonnegut's Wampaters, Foma, and Granfalloons.

On the way home I read on the subway then watch a DVD on the train. Currently I have Northern Exposure season 2 and The Big Lebowski. This is how I spend my train time. If my book is really good I read on the train as well. If a lot is going on with the team and site I surf and reply to posts, messages, and emails.

That's life.

Tonight I have to go to Morris Plains to get the in-laws boat-car then sail it to Newark Airport and pick them up as they come in from Taiwan tonight around 8:30. Then back home hopefully by 10:00. Tomorrow morning will be a cold one so I get to test out the winter duds for real. I'm pretty sure I can deal except for the gloves, which are still a weak point. I may have to break down and get mittens straight up.

Also, I've gotten serious about dropping pounds and I saw 182 last week which matches my all time low since grade school. That also represents a 14 pound loss since I started this. I'm using numbers this time to try and hit a 600 calorie deficit every day. I'm also charting how I eat through the day and identifying my poor eating habits, namely that I tend to eat too litttle in the middle of the day and too much at night.

Not sure where it will end but for 15 weeks or so I've been pretty much dropping a pound a week on average. I don't starve myself, I have chocolate, candy, or ice cream every day, still get 6-9 fruits/veggies everyday, and feel great. Ideally I'd like to see 171 for a 25 pound loss. But if I do that you can be sure I'll try to see the 160s too. For now I have my sights set on 181. Then 180. And so on. The journey of 1000 miles begins with 1 step. Or buying shoes.

Out of the tunnel and in NYC now. Enjoy your week. Maybe I'll see you Wednesday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore