Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Social Experiment Day 1

I have no idea how long this will last. I am notorious for starting things and not following through. But it seems like a neat idea on (virtual) paper. So let's have at it. Here's the setup. If you didn't read yesterday's entry this might not make much sense.

Today I took a 2 seater, north side of the train, about 1/3 of the way down the car so whoever sits next to me will likely be coming at me. I'm not going to always sit in the same car or anything. I put my bag on my lap so as to not discourage someone from sitting here. I'm wearing khaki pants, a black shirt, and a jacket. I have 1.5 days of scruff. Haircut is currently very short. Today is Tuesday.

I'm not going to make eye contact. Instead I will either look out the window or look at the Blackberry.

Berkeley Heights: no takers, too many empty seats.

Wow, shocker, Murray Hill we already have a taker! A white woman, probably 40-45, medium slight build, average looks, wedding ring, single day ticket purchase (ie, non-monthly ticket), reading a book called Lord of Scandal, black messenger bag, khaki colored corduroy pants, comfortable walking shoes, no Blackberry. She kinda reminds me of Vinny's mom but smaller. She doesn't have a monthly but this routine seems normal to her. I'm guessing semi-regular commuter.

Very surprising. I was under the impression that nobody would grab the seat until Summit. So I'm going to tally this as such:

  • Man/woman
  • Married
  • Age (sub 30, 30-39, 40-49, 50+)
  • Fat or not fat
  • Regular or not (monthly/weekly pass)
  • Ethnicity

Comments: by the time we get to the tunnel to NY I will throw out an assessment of this seat cohabitant. Today, I can say this woman is about as good as it gets. She just sat and read and that was it. No makeup, perfume, phone calls, nothing. Score one for average looking middle aged married white women from Murray Hill!

The Bike

I skipped yesterday and was back in the Dungeon today for 3 sets of 8x1:30 which means 8 reps of 1 minute on, 30 seconds off. So that's 8 minutes of blisteringly difficult work in a span of 11 minutes and 30 seconds.

Tomorrow the plan is 1 set of 8x4:2 or maybe even 8x4:1 if I'm feeling up for it. The progression basically goes as such:

  1. 4x2 for 32 on, 14 off
  2. 4x1 for 32 on, 7 off
  3. 5x2 for 40 on, 14 off
  4. 5x1 for 40 on, 7 off

Jeez, 40 on and 7 off seems diabolically painful in theory.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea of your daily experiment, gives something else to look forward to each day

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am so glad that i no longer contend with the public transportation psyche.

    too-lazy-to-log-in steve

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore