Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Aslan the Slut

Knocked out book 6 of the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe series on the train to work today. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated which is always a bonus. But the last page had the "god god god" stuff all over it. That's fine and all but it's really a drum that gets beat to no end. I imagine most people don't get that impression from the movies? I've never seen them so I have no idea. Maybe Aslan is a fuck slut on the silver screen.

A meager 3 day week this week which rocks. On Friday I have a lot of free time so I'm going to pick up a used road bike I'm buying from one of the guys on the site. $300 for a solid backup bike I can use in bad weather, or just as a straight backup if I need to put the Trek in the basement to give it an overhaul, which I need to do right now. I have new brakes which need to go on but at the same time should I do that before winter even starts? Might not be a good idea. We'll see what the new/used roadie looks like. Hopefully it's good to go immediately then I can take the Trek apart for a good solid tuneup.

The roadie versus trainer race is hot, with the roadie at 1988 miles and the trainer at 1981 miles. Basically it's down to the next ride. Whichever bike gets pulled out for the next non-mtb ride wins the race to 2000. But since I end the year with 10 straight days off work I think the roadie will win the overall race. As a side note I have 811 on the mountain bike, so I'm 220 miles short of 5000 total miles on the year. With 20 days left that comes out to 11 miles a day, total. I'm liking my chances right now. We shall see.

Excitement!

Riding is going well, more or less. Friday was trainer, Saturday Chimney Rock, then I did a pair of tempo-ish rides in the swamp Sunday and Monday. It's funny because I've changed my opinion of the swamp riding. I used to think that it being flat was really easy and did not give you a good workout. But now I see that for the fallacy that it is. The reality is that pancake-flat riding can be some of the toughest riding you can do on a road bike. There's no rest, no coasting, constant effort. Now if you cruise along at 16 mph you're not going to get a lot of benefit, admittedly. But if you keep a nice solid tempo or even threshold pace, that's a lot of work and that's what I'm aiming to pile up as much as I can right now. Lots of tempo to build a good base to fall back on once the racing season starts. This morning was just another quick trainer session to add on to that. Off for the next 2 days.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    did walt really eat 22 pizza bites? good lord.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore