Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Friday, December 07, 2007

Feedback and Cruise Burritos

I think the world is adjusting to the ADD Nation approach that those of us who live on the Internet have developed. When I got off the bike today I checked my email and saw trains were delayed into NYC. Then 5 minutes later they were being diverted to Hoboken. On the drive to the train station the radio announced the faulty bridge was fixed and trains were 30 minutes behind. Then I got on the train on time and an email told me things were resumed as normal. Life is play by play now. Did it really matter to me if I knew all that? Not at all, though if the train had been bagged I want to know. Our need for immediate information leads us to obsess over things we can't control and don't effect us and cause us to miss things like the amazing sunrise I'm seeing out the window right now.

I will add this as well. Apparently Schiano interviewed for the Michigan job and turned it down. All of this transpired on the Internet in about 12 hours. This morning several of us were talking about it and we knew he had turned it down for 1 hour and 12 minutes before WFAN got ahold of it and reported it. Amazing that information is such a commodity on the Internet these days. And the half-life on information is like 15 minutes. Crazy.

Facts: My car let me in yesterday and started today though it's getting really sketchy now. I've chosen The Skeptical Environmentalist as my "heavy" book to pick up next. On the bike 55 minutes this morning at L3 and came in at 189 this morning. Walter ate like 10 cookies and 22 pizza bites yesterday.

So the cruise burrito story goes like this. Terren and I were walking around when the girls had the kids at one point on the trip and we're talking about all the food and whatnot and how every day they have some Mexican snack-like food at 3:00. But food was so pervasive on the trip that you simply were never hungry that time of day. So we came up with the perfect plan to enjoy it. Simple make up the biggest, fattest burrito you can make with as many bells and whistles and fixings you can muster and do it up, old-fashioned-Oprah-style. Take one bite out of it, then throw it overboard and yell:

USA!!
USA!!
USA!!

I think you had to be there. Anyway I want to catch up on some feedback.

Steve on The Oven of Doom

"good lord that was funny..."

You know we haven't had any updates from Walter about that situation so I wonder how it's all going. I hope well and in general no news is good news. You know there are really 2 nuances of that statement. The first being that the state of not having news is good. The other is that all news is bad. Same end result but slightly different roads.

Steve on The Poop Chronicles

"a few things i learned on vacation. i read somewhere that the average american makes approximately 200 food-related decisions a day (don't ask me, i'm just regurgitating facts). this popped (i almost typed pooped) into my mind as i was sitting on the plane - stopped for some gorp prior to boarding, then decided to pick up a turkey sandwich in case the airline food was bad. then had to choose which drink i wanted, followed by whether or not to take, then whether or not to eat the bad airline food, then 2 more decisions on beverages, then should i eat the peanuts. all the while wondering if i should be digging into the snack and turkey sandwich. my 4 year old son thinks poop, fart and peepee are the funniest words to roll off the tongue. everything is "poopee head", i want to go to the "pooper market", is that pee pee in your glass?, etc. Now since he finds this funny, my 2 year old daughter runs around the house saying "poopee" and we say "no poopee talk", which she promptly responds with "poopee talk" and a shit eating grin. how does this relate to my trip? imagine 2 almost middle age men driving in a eurovan from CA to UT and back with a 3 day stay in Zion. Sadly, some of the highlights of trip involved pooping, peeing and farting. i guess this stuff never grows old."

I find it funny what entertains us as we get older. Way back when, it was some hot girl at the bar who was stacked and you were trying to get with. Ironic that the primal urge which made you want that so badly is what leads to us being entertained when we can teach our children to say "poo pee pie".

Sure, life does slow down but it's all related in a stream of time. Some say that time is an illusion and everything happens all at once, which is interesting but renders useless the last 15 seconds of a close basketball game now doesn't it? Plus, how can I be eating and vomiting all at the same time?

I'm going to leave it at 2 comments today as it's time to hammer away at the Robbins book. I think Switters is about to kick it back-door style to Domino. I think at this point I'm leaning towards Jitterbug as his best. Fierce Invalids doesn't actually hold on quite so well, though it's good for second place.

Three day weekend. Jump for joy, Roy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore