Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Moron Nutrition

More on nutrition. Moron nutrition. Too appropriate for me. Go with Walter's comment first:

Walter

"Sorry norm, but Metro Park was without power due to the storm, so when I got home, wifey was here waiting. I read through the MTBR thread, so, what this company does is you tell them your specific goals, issues, training routine, etc., and they create your own custom formula to suit your needs??? Sounds like an interesting idea, hopefully its as good as it sounds."

I wasn't actually at work at 4:00 since the subways weren't running when I got to Manhattan. So I wasn't online. About this nutrition thing. If I had time I would take some screen shots and show you but I have training today so my time to make pictures and stuff is limited.

There are 2 ways to do it. They have these "slider bars" of attributes. So the first one is flavor, you can make it strong or light. Then electrolytes. Calories. Caffeine. And a few others I don't remember. It helps to be sort of insane to begin with to do it that way. The other option is a questionnaire which is a lot more simple. That probably makes more sense for most people, if not everyone. You can make and save as many mixes as you like. So maybe you have your XC racing mix which is probably higher in glucose or some other fast-burning carb and an enduro mix which is higher in maltodextrin. And so on. His opinion for a 24 hour race is heavier and with protein in the beginning and when you get sick of that go lighter, less protein, but with caffeine.

It sounds good on one hand but overkill on the other. I traded emails with Maurice yesterday and his opinion is just go out and ride your bike and eat normal food. Backing up that opinion is Chris Eatough, who I believe eats turkey sandwiches. On the other side of the coin is that Pua Whatever who eats nothing but liquid calories in her races.

If you read the forum enough it basically boils down to this. Everyone goes through this process. You just need to find what works for you. I'm obviously still going through the process. Maybe it ends up that I choose banana cream pie. It's looking like I'll have nothing but 3 scoops of Perp, some Heed, and Accelerade for this weekend unless the Infinit stuff gets here. I may try to find a retailer with the Carb-BOOM and pick up some powdered Gatorade or just find the Hyrdo-BOOM instead.

Getting a bonus day at home allowed me to get the bike all back together. Still dirty in spots but ready to roll overall. I should probably bring it up from the basement and run it around the neighborhood to make sure it works as expected.

Kirt stopped by yesterday and said the Trek 8000 frame is a solid frame. I think I only need a stem and handlebars to get it up and running, plus a chain. The problem is I don't know how to go about buying them. The Easton carbon bars are nice and light. But do I get hi-rise or lo-rise? How do I make sure they're not narrow like 2 of the ones I have? And how can I tell what length my stem needs to be? I suppose I'll try to copy the DumpTrucker as much as possible because that's a really comfortable bike. But I'm not sure if that's the best approach or not.

Last day off the bike today so tomorrow morning I'll be back out there bright and early unless it rains. Nothing special just an hour or so to wake the legs up and make sure I'm not a slug Saturday.

George

"" An overabundance of cake will leave you fat, disgusting, and laying on the couch. An overabundance of beer will make you want to be romantic with those that are fat, disgusting, and laying on the couch. See the difference? " I s e e...(Homer) Too funny! But yet so true.. You would be a top notch salesmen...there Mr. Z!"

Nice Homerism. Hard to get the inflection across sometimes. But purple is a flavor.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger shaggz said…

    i have heard that the geometry should be similar on your bikes, be it road, mtb, tricycle. so if the dumptrucker feels comfortable, try to match it. thinking out loud, what about a set of bar ends on the trek?

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with shaggz, I remember someone on mtbnj reporting that their roadie and their mtb's were set up so that their angles and reaches were almost exactly the same on all of their bikes. I have a 100 mm, 6 degree rise 4 bolt Ritchey stem I took off the mary you can experiment with if you'd like.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Accommodation in aviemore