Normbrero

We make holes in teeth!

Friday, December 09, 2005

Reach to the Wounded Healer

Take a few moments to look at this book and the reviews.

Got it? Ok, there are several things wrong with this page. First, this is not a 5 star book. How do I know this? Well, I read it. I read it because the author sent me a copy of it. He wanted me to review his book for him. Ok fine, I said, but beware I'm going to slam it if it sucks. Ok, he said.

The second thing wrong with that page is the 9 reviews there - every one of them. Take a few more moments to look at the comments, if you must. They're awful, assuredly posted by the author and friends of the author. Not a single user there has reviewed another book. Why? Because they're not people who review books, as becomes plainly obvious when you read any of the reviews. "Thanks to Ernest De L'Autin for sharing his talent in such an unselfish way." Are you kidding me? What drivel.

So my problem is this. This is the worst book I have ever read, by a long shot. There are so many problems with this book it would be a waste of time for me to sit here and list them. It would do neither of us any good. Besides, I've already dumped my opinion into a book review, the contents of which will eventually be edited and posted on Amazon.com, assuming that I do actually post the comments.

That's the problem. Do I post these comments? Do I say to the world that this book really sucks monkey balls? Because, honestly, it does. It's awful, and if you ask me my opinion, I have to say that it's awful. Of course, I'm not going to say it so harshly. But if you server someone dog shit for dinner, there's not much you can do to make it look, smell, or taste good.

I bounced around the idea of not submitting a review at all. I notice the book he sent me was number 1800+ of 2500 he printed up. I can only assume that the vast majority of those 1800 books were sent to people much like mine was sent to me. Of those 1800, only 9 reviews have made it to Amazon.com. I have to imagine the vast majority who have read it feel the same as I do, thus the lack of reviews. Most people probably bite the bullet and decide they don't want to post a review after all, because the author seems like a good guy.

That's where the trouble is, in the fact that the author seems to be writing as an outlet, and this is what he produces. Well, let's be honest, the product sucks. In an email, he told me he was working on 38 other books. What the fuck? You can't even nail down 1 let alone 38. No wonder this one was so shallow and undeveloped. Data from Star Trek couldn't even keep 38 items straight at once - he pretty much topped out listening to 5 pieces of classical music at the same time. And no, I'm not a Star Trek fan, I just had a lot of free time in college.

I'll likely post the review, because I warned him I would. I also mentioned it would look more real with some balanced reviews, since they all (poorly) proclaim this book as brilliance in paper form. Well, I guess mine will help tip the scales in the other direction. Maybe it will encourage someone else to follow suit. That whole domino theory and all. Or maybe not. Maybe they'll collectively look at me and say, "Boy, that guy doesn't get it at all." Or rather, "That guy gets it but he's a real dick." Either way, at least I can say I'm being honest. And in being honest, this was an utter waste of my time, reading this book.
 

Accommodation in aviemore